I pieced and embellished the block then quilted it, which I thought would give me a few problems. The yarn areas actually provided an area to hide my traveling stitches as I moved from one leaf to the next. The only problem I did have was the yarn getting wrapped around the foot on occasion. I chose not to quilt the flowers which resulted in a nice raised effect enhancing the look of the flowers. The novelty yarn creates a fuzzy, raised texture as well. A few more photos of this work are posted on my Flickr site.
I am now using my embellishment technique on a landscape I created a few years ago.