Here is how my piece started. I had received a complimentary piece of lutradur with a recent order from Quilting Arts. Had no idea what to do with it so I just tucked it away. The lace is a piece that I had started painting but never finished. Here is how everything looked before any stitching or painting...
First coat of paint is Metallic Sapphire. I also added some random thread around the lace
Next I added some expandable paint and painted emerald green Setacolor and a bit of metallic paint... the result was this mess.... too many colors, the lace and the thread just seemed to be thrown on top of the lutradur.
I nearly trashed the whole thing and started over. But I gave it a few days and then decided to add some more expanda paint and then cover the entire piece white with acrylic paint.
This time, I limited the number of colors to just a base color of brown and a metallic bronze. One painting technique that worked well was to paint on the brown paint and then use a paper towel to wipe away some of the excess and create a highlight on the raised areas. This really helped enhance the details of the lace and expanda paint.
If you have never worked with expanda paint give it a try, this stuff is cool and creates such great textures. I used Setacolor Expanable Paint.
I am going to use this as a cover for my sketch book.