Wednesday, February 13, 2008

New project

I am working on a new project and it is a commission from a coworker. It will be donated to Preservation North Dakota's silent auction in May. PND is statewide historic preservation organization that has done significant work in helping rescue the prairie churches of ND. Hence my design is based on one of the churches...


I choose a church that had some nice architectural detail, but not too much and then simplified it into a line drawing.
To capture the line drawing, I used a photocopy of an actual photo of the church and followed all of the significant lines with a sharpie, this created a mirror image on the back of the paper, which I touched up the lines with the sharpie and then scanned it to my computer. With the line image now digital, I flipped the image to the correct orientation and proceeded to clean up all of the lines using MS Paint. I have Adobe Photoshop, but I have not taken the time to learn how to manipulate images quickly, MS Paint is easy and uncomplicated, not too many bells and whistles.
So now with my image cleaned up, I increased the size to about 24" x 22" and printed out on 8 pieced of letter paper. With just a little trimming of the margins, and some tape, I have the pattern ready to go.

Time to start digging through my fabric.

No comments: