Friday, February 08, 2008

Writing on fabric

I have always had a fascination with calligraphy and fonts. It is incredible how a font can express a feeling and mood.

It has been extra cold here and all I have been doing is thinking about spring. Combine that with wanting to experiment with different pens to write on fabric, I perused a list of fonts and printed out a few to try on fabric.

First, I used a pencil to free hand the desired type on to the fabric. Penmanship was one of my favorite classes in elementary school.

On the yellow and the next pink fabric I used a Zig pen in black with a medium tip. By far this gave the best results for me. There was an ever so slight bit of bleeding, but nothing too obvious. The next pink Think Spring was written with a Fabrico marker, in blue, using the fine tip of the pen. Results were ok, lines were not as clear and crisp as I would have liked, but not too bad. The bottom pink fabric was written with a Sharpie marker in black with a fine tip. I did not like this one at all. The line seemed very fuzzy when compared to the Zig pen results.

1 comment:

Doreen G said...

Thanks for this Amy I am about to do some writing on fabric and you have done the homework for me.