Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Framing the prairie church quilt....

I thought I liked this fabric for the border, but looking at the photos....



I think I like this darker border better. I auditioned it on the design wall and thought it was too dark, but it really frames the picture much better than the lighter border above. And since I was sure I like the light fabric, I went ahead and sewed it on, I guess I will be doing a little ripping this evening. I started quilting trying to mimic some of the actual siding details of the church. Here is a close up of the quilting. Most of the quilting thus far has been done with a straight stitch and a tan variegated thread.

And here is the back. I did use a bit of the dark fabric for the borders on the back. Why a border on the back you ask? Well I got ahead of myself and started quilting the church and then remember I wanted to add another border. So I had to add one to the front and the back.

5 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

I agree with your thoughts about the darker border. How the quilting patterns changes/enhances the piece always amaze me .

allie aller said...

I like the darker border too. It has less yellow in it, so it makes the church look more a whiter tan than a yellow one, if you know what I mean. Plus the darker border just adds more gravitas, somehow, which I think suits the subject matter....
Love the quilting....! This is a fantastic quilt.

Liz in Kansas said...

It's amazing how much difference a border can make. The darker border really enhances the whole image. It's beautiful.

Darcie said...

Your quilting is exquisite, Amy! Wow!

I too, love your darker border. Great choice.

Anonymous said...

This quilt is beautiful. You did an amazing job! What a great keepsake. Working on architectural pieces is challenging but the results are worth it.