Monday, April 28, 2008

Antique Rose SRE

I have been working on a couple of pieces using the Vintage Advertising Images I have for sale on my Etsy site http://www.inthefold.etsy.com/ as well as working on improving my silk ribbon embroidery.


I used the directions for the antique rose in Judith Baker Montano's book Elegant Stitches. I did have to modify it a bit as my first try was a disaster trying to follow the exact number of stitches she showed. But when I reduced the number of petals the flower formed a little easier.
The darker pink ribbon is some of my own hand dyed.



I also had a small issue with the image getting a little "puffed up" after the other crazy quilt patches were added. To make it lay flat, I cut a slit in the backing material and inserted some Misty Fuse and pressed into place. I did have a few stitches go through the fused area with no problems.

3 comments:

Allison Ann Aller said...

Really nice! All hail JBM, she is a CQ Treasurer.
Getting a central (often printed) image to lie flat has been a constant challenge for me. I usually end up adding more batting and puffing it out so that it looks intentional. I like your idea of adding fusible web instead, making it lie down.....

WIPPYSPLACE said...

I HAVE THAT BOOK--I need to sue it! love what you did..folks are so inspirational and they dont even realize it...nice work! *~*CAROLE*~* (cqfornewbies)

Deb Silva said...

Beautiful!! I do SRE too. Thanks for the comment on my blog - we have many interests in common!
oxoooo