Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hot on my trail....

Shhh, don't say a word. I broke the rules in quilting and I think the quilt police will be on to me soon. My Vase of Sunflowers quilt needed a second border to finish it off, only problem is I decided this after I had finished quilting the entire quilt.


But how to add a final border with out it being too obvious. And let me say the interior part quilted up just beautifully, not a ripple in sight. I had faced this challenge once before and added the border to the front and back mid quilting only to have the quilt have quite the annoying ripple. No amount of heat, steam or blocking would make that quilt lie flat. I was determined that I would not repeat that error.
So what did I do, take a closer look.....
Right there, see, I appliqued the entire quilt to the already quilted border.
maybe a look at the back will give you a better idea....The raw edge on the back will need a bit of trimming. And while we are checking out the back, don't you love the fabric? Perfect for hiding all of those sloppy free motion quilting stitches of mine.
I measured and pieced together a front and back frame and then basted together with some batting. The frame was then quilted and the top was appliqued to the frame. So, I do have a raw edge on the top of the quilt and the back. But not to worry I already have that problem covered, with a bit of bias tape and some hand stitching, the raw edge will be hidden in no time. And add a nice narrow frame to the quilt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done Amy!

Doreen G said...

I love the brown bias tape strip Amy it looks like it was going to be there from the beginning--anyway the quilt police are on holidays so they will never find out.

Darcie said...

Very clever! It looks fabulous, Amy!

allie aller said...

Very good trick to know!
I like the nice little line the bias tape makes, too.
Looks like you planned the whole thing.

Cathie said...

Wow Amy - very cool sunflowers. I love how you used batiks for giant centers with the stitching around the centers, and the leaves are really pretty. What a great job on the label - almost too pretty to be on the back for sure.