Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Working on something new

The Alliance for American Quilts just announced it's competition for 2010, New from Old. And while I often struggle with making a piece with a theme, I was immediately struck with two good ideas (the creativity gods must be hanging out in my basement).

I have started working on the first. The inspiration for this block came from some embellisher experiments Allison Aller created a few years ago using bits of vintage blocks here and here.
I have a stack of these pieced fans (63 to be exact). You can check out more vintage treasures I shared in a few years ago.
I like the ideas of using some fussy cut flowers to fill in and enhance the fans. I am just not sure what direction I want that to take.....
I have enough fans that I could make two block and see where it goes.


2 comments:

allie aller said...

Run with it, Amy!!! Can't wait to see what you do....

I am so glad you are going to participate in the contest again this year...maybe this time I'll win one of those quilts of yours....!

Unknown said...

Love the fans Amy.