Stutsman County Courthouse, located at 504 Third Avenue SE in
Jamestown, ND is the oldest surviving courthouse in North Dakota and is
listed on the National Register of Historic Places. During the days of
the Dakota Territory, meetings were held in the courthouse in
preparation for statehood. The building is considered a superb but rare
example in the Upper Midwest of the Gothic-Revival style of
architecture. The interior is outstanding for its stamped metal
ornamentation that dates to 1905.
Designed by Henry C. Koch, a Wisconsin architect who worked as
General Philip H. Sheridan’s topographic engineer during the Civil War,
the courthouse construction was completed in 1883. An addition designed
by Gilbert R. Horton, a Jamestown architect, was added on the rear of
the courthouse in 1926 to handle the growing needs of Stutsman County.
The building served as the center of county government until the early
1980s when a new courthouse was built, adjoining and incorporating the