Wednesday, June 20, 2007

1849 Applique blocks

The blocks were purchased from an antique store over 25 years ago when we lived in Northern California. (way north near the Oregon border) I would guess they are around 16" squares, and isn't the applique beautiful. Does any one know the name of the pattern? I think it would make a stunning quilt.








The following tag has been attached to the blocks since they were purchased. I brought them in to work for the Curator of Collections, my friend Jenny, to examine. The fabrics would date the the mid 1800s and it was thought the tag would be accurate.





The back of the block shows off the tiny applique stitches. The muslin is a bit stained but the print fabric is in good condition. The blocks, until recently, had been folded in quarters, so I fear the fold lines are now permanent.




2 comments:

allie aller said...

These are SO amazing! What a perfect treasure.

Sassenach said...

Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky!